Monday 25 July 2011

22/07/2011 Beinn a'Bheithir

Sgorr Dhonuill (munro)
Sgorr Dhearg (munro)

A solo day and a mere 25 years it's taken to return to this particular hill. The first attempt was in winter, sometime in the mid to late '80s and I was with my Dad and one of his pals. There was a thaw on and lumps of snow were falling from the face of the summit so I decided not to finish the hill but wait while they bagged the summit and came back. “You were right, that was dodgy”. Vindication. I also lost my casio watch. Funny how things stick in your memory.

the dragon's tooth
classic pic
2 years ago, Mrs H, Cb and myself went to climb School House ridge. I was under the impression that it was a Grade I but it I've now read somewhere it is Grade II. Mostly a hill walk but a short steep section with considerable exposure and no rope defeated us.
towards mull and lismore island
Attempt no. 3 was last winter, 2 hours battling through the trees resulted in Cb and I emerging into the corrie in waist to almost chest deep powder snow. We had a quick conference and decided to try and find the path down. A further half an hour of floundering got us to the deer fence (about 100m) and some tracks that we followed back to the proper path and eventually the car. If, by some chance, we had actually managed to get to the bottom of the route and climb it, we would have come down into the corrie in the dark and struggled to find the route down.

looking east to glencoe



So, 4th time lucky. A bright sunny day. 2 hours from the car to the bealach, a bite to eat and the elusive peak was in the bag. The view was quite superb. Mull, Ardgour, Mamores, Ben Nevis, Glencoe, Bidean, Ben Starav and Cruachan. Just as well Mrs H hasn't done it. Worth a return visit.

Back at the car 5 ½ hours after starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment