Wednesday 13 July 2011

12/07/2011 Ben Bheula

Ben Bheula (corbett)

Length: 8.73 miles  14.0 km Ascent: +1020m Naismith: 4h 31m

This was the third attempt at this Corbett. The first time me n' Mrs H didn't even get out the car. We couldn't open the door for the gale force wind. Attempt No. 2 ended in confusion, rain and a complete lack of motivation.

This time things would be different. Mrs H had said to go off myself, partly due to the previous days partial success and partly because I'm going have to work 5 days a week in a few weeks time. It may take some getting used to.

I was motivated, the weather was fine. What could possibly go wrong?

All started well, I followed the track up from Lettermay and continued up the new forestry path which brings you to steep grass at NS174988. I zigzagged up until the angle leveled off a wee bit and stopped for brunch. I knew that the way down from the summit was going to be interesting so I sat and studied the crags and came up with a solution.
Ben Bheula from NS176985


Satisfied with the way forward, I wandered up the ridge pausing only to swat flies, catch my breath or mop the sweat from my brow. Eventually arrived at the spot height 560 and took in the views.

To get to the Lochan na Cnaimh requires descent along the top of some small crags and a trend westwards. Fortunately it's not as high as it looks.

I reached the outflow of the lochan and was surprised to see a dam made from large rocks and a pipe with a sluice gate on the dry side.
Lochan na Cnaimh from the dam

I could see no sign of the path marked on the map that runs up to the bealach, so it was more steep grass and bog to reach the bealach where I managed to rip a large hole on the leg of my favourite trousers whilst climbing over the only fence of the day. Much bad language followed, fortunately I was on my own.

The next significant feature was the remains of a Grumman Wildcat (Martlet) F4F-3. The story can be found here.

I didn't see the cockpit remains or the engine. These two parts were about 10 to 15 meters apart.

wing section

and 
not sure



Looking up at Creag Sgoilte, I realised there was no direct route up so I'd have to move round to the west side. I eventually found and then followed a shallow gully and it brought me to a dip in the 2 summits of Creag Sgoilte. An easy wander along the summit ridge brought me to the summit proper and I found about 5 meters of faint path, the only hill path I'd seen all day.
at last, the summit in sight

I tried to remember the way down I'd made up in my head, unsurprisingly I couldn't match what I was standing on to what I'd seen before. The short gully I thought would take me down one "terrace" looked too steep so I wandered off towards the North-westish hoping to out flank the crags. I could see a path on the ridge below but couldn't see a way down.

I decided to take a look along a small grassy terrace and this proved more promising as I could see a grassy ramp leading to more level ground. Further round I found a straightforward if slightly steep way down and very soon I was on the path I'd seen from above. Not that it lasted long. From then on it was just a matter of picking my way down through bog and marsh to the slightly boggier and marshier Cowal Way to the nice dry firm road and back to the car.

I recon I took 6 hours give or take stoppage time. Felt more like 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment