Friday 8 June 2012

05/06/2012 Creag Meaghidh


Length: 12.7 miles, 20.5 km
Ascent: +1175m
Naismith: 6h 4m (actually took about 8 hours)

Weather: Sunny at first. Overcast with cold wind later.

200 or bust Part I

I had decided that I has languished in the 190somethings (Munros, not years or even dog years) for too long and that if I was to make some progress I, like Joe Simpson in “Touching the Void”, needed to set myself some mini goals to reach my target, preferably, without the inconvenience, suffering, bestselling book and career as a motivational speaker. I would have to forsake my Donald, Corbett, Graham, Wainwright and Hewett habit for now. My Marylin tick list was just a wee side hobby.

I consulted the Oracle that is Walkhighlandsdotcom and reviewed my blue and red triangle populated map.

Pairs.

It had to be pairs.

Preferably within a reasonable drive from home.


The plan was simple.
200-196 = 2M x 3D
Where:
                                                D = day out
M = Munro

Simples.

Once again the In-Laws came to the rescue and agreed to look after LittleMisshalfaseesaw™ (who shows no interest in climbing hills but seems to enjoy orienteering) and halfaseesawJR™ who shows a healthy interest in climbing hills quickly.

Creag Meaghidh had been climbed before as someone else’s final Munro but it was winter with knee deep snow and very poor visibility. It had occurred during my University days when I had all but forsaken the mad and slightly pointless pastime of climbing hills. I was knackered by the end of it and even an early night didn't make the ascent of Ben Nevis the next day any easier. In fact I gave up really early and managed to catch up with my dad who had (wisely) decided not to go up, but along Glen Nevis. He didn't make it up Creag Meaghidh either.

So, there is a nice wee circuit to the east, taking in Carn Liath, Stob Poite Coire Ardair then finally Creag Meaghidh. Sorted.

Mrs halfaseesaw awake at 04:00 AM!!! With the dawn and a red sky. This was apparently due to sore arms from the previous days gardening epic.

We left about early o’clock in bright sunshine and arrived at the car park about 08:30. A serious case of early onset midge resulted in a fast pack n’ go. Then back again for mrs h’s water then away again. In the sun & heat I became concerned for my safety and slapped on some SPF 8 – take no chances. The coire path climbs up towards some natural woodland and then you must keep a really good eye out for the path to Carn Liath. Just as the path nears the tree line, there is a ditch running down the hill and beside it a path that doesn’t really look like a path but it is. Not a great path but a path. We noticed, on the way down from Coire Ardair, about 20 meter further uphill from this path there is a bent fence post and the start of a path which would seem to tie in with a couple of fence posts and what appeared to be a path of sorts near Na Cnapanan NN475889. This one might be worth looking out for but the first path was fine, as was the walk up Carn Liath. In fact it was quite pleasant.
Looking towards Loch Laggan
I had thought about doing the route clockwise but I was concerned I wouldn't find the path down through the trees. This turned out to be a wise choice, for a different reason, the path back down the corrie went on and on and was easier because it was mostly downhill. The tree path shouldn't be a problem on descent. Head for Na Cnapanan and you’ll find it easily.

By the time we reached Carn Liath the sun was gone. Clouds moved in and the wind blew cold. Probably for the best. The ridge along to Stob Poite Coire Ardair is lovely, you don’t really notice the reascent for the second Munro and the drop down to The Window isn’t as steep as you think it’s going to be.
Creag Meaghidh from Carn Liath
We stopped for a spot of lunch at The Window then pressed on up the Meggie side. About halfway up we were joined by an English gentleman who inquired about the descent from Carn Liath. Then he engaged us in conversation and regaled us with stories of scrambles in Snowdonia and how he had climbed Curved Ridge 5 times and how he didn’t like the Cairngorms or the Perthshire hills because they weren’t pointy enough. It was at that point that my son rescued us (well he rescued me), Mrs H was chatting away as she does. She’s very sympathetic. My 3 year old son rescued me by telling his Papa that he wanted to speak to his mummy, so Papa phoned and we had to break off our lovely chat to listen to halfaseesawJR™ telling us we had to come home quickly. Awwwwwww.
The cliffs of Coire Ardair
As it happened we were close to the top of our final peak anyway. We had a quick photo stop on Mad Megs cairn and pressed on to the top of the hill to find a mast and a man taking in letters into a radio. English gentleman (on the way down) said the same guy was at the top on Ben Lui a couple of weeks previously. I have ceased judging people by the nature of their hobbies. I accept that my chosen favourite past time is pointless and I cannot judge others chosen activities (but football? Really don’t get it).
Looking back
The return to the car felt long – the descent from the window is scree with steep gravelly path, a walking pole was very useful. The close up views of the winter climbing mecca was impressive. Really need to find some easy routes here to try out.

A grand day out and with 3 Munros and a good handful of tops for only 1175m of ascent. A bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment